Sunday, December 6, 2009

Growing Up Is Hard To Do...

Tonight we were enjoying a family dinner, talking and laughing (when the kids weren't trying to beat each other senseless). Hubby and I began reminiscing over when we were dating.

We talked about the different things we used to do, like water skiing, walking around the Opryland Hotel Conservatory and talking until all hours of the morning about nothing at all. Then hubby started rummaging through his wallet.

"What are you looking for?" I asked.

"Our picture," he said.

"No way. You don't have our picture from the beach, do you?"

"Yep," he said, smiling victoriously, and pulling out a worn picture from the back.

He showed the picture of hubby and me smiling into the camera in 1989. We admittedly looked different. But, I still thought fondly that I still think hubby looks the same in my eyes.

Our German exchange student looked closely at the picture and exclaimed, "Oh my gosh! You look so good here!"

I laughed and said, "I don't know if I'm flattered that you think we looked good or if I'm offended that you sound so surprised."

"No. You look nice, now, too," she tried to back track.

"Yeah, yeah," hubby said.

"No! I mean it. You just look... different now," she laughed.

"You mean 'older'," I prompted.

"Yes- I mean- no," she stammered. "I mean, wow. Is this what kids do to you? You are bad kids!" she laughed, pointing at my kids. "Look at what you did to your parents! Look how good they look then. And look at them now."

Of course, we had to laugh. But at the same time, I wondered if maybe there wasn't just a touch of truth to it...

Ah, well, we'll always have 1989...


No comments: