Monday, March 8, 2010

Get Ready to Rumble...

Tonight my oldest and youngest held another battle of wits that went something like:

"Unh-uh!"

"Uh-huh!"

Back and forth, back and forth, until I was screaming like a crazy lady, waving my arms around, screeching, "Just SHUT UP!"

If you asked them, I don't think they could even tell you what the argument was about.  The main goal, as it always is for them, is to be "right".

If I can catch their spats just as they begin, I can sometimes cut them off at the pass.  But, if I wait too long, like I did tonight, nothing short of catching them on fire and dangling them off the side of a building will interfere with their incessant need to make sure the other one is "wrong".

By the time I finally get them to pay attention to me, I have had to take away every privilege other than breathing.  After they've had the chance to calm down and re-group, they come to me abashed, apologizing and teary-eyed.

I wonder what life would be like if they put this much energy and emotion into something like, oh, keeping their rooms clean.  Or making straight A's on their report card(s).  Or becoming a pro in their chosen sport or hobby.  Part of me thinks about all the great things they could accomplish and achieve.  Part of me cringes at the idea of their driven, one-track, hyper-focused, Type A, perfectionist personalities pointing their laser beams at anything with that kind of intensity.

I can tell you something for sure, though:  whatever their chosen profession is when they become adults, I would want them on my team.  You would have no better lawyer arguing your case, no better doctor tracking down your symptoms and curing your illness, and no better spouse/parent working with you on a family.

My middle child?  She is the peace-keeper.  She is the one who will balance out the other two.  She is the one who calls them out when they are being petty, mean, selfish, prideful, or just plain stupid.

I love them all dearly.  And I wouldn't change them for the world.

It would just be awfully nice to have a "mute" button every once in a while...

No comments: