Friday, July 23, 2010

The Teen-Aged Years

Today my hormonally-charged son got to see the girlies (in uniform) training at the new restaurant "The Tilted Kilt" in Hendersonville. He was... impressed.

The girls wear... well not much... stiletto heels, a very tiny tartan plaid skirt, a matching very tiny tartan plaid bra & a Brittany Spears-like white "shirt" to "cover" the bra. They have bright red lipstick and tramp tats.

Basically, it's Hooters set in Scotland. But the food appears to be better, as well as the drink menu. My friend is completely fired up about a cold meatloaf sandwich, which is debatable in the "good food" category. But she seems happy. I'm pretty excited about the garlic butter french fries in parmesan cheese.

Since (thankfully) The Tilted Kilt is still not open, we went to dinner at another restaurant, and then walked around the Streets at Indian Lake. My son and his friend walked around with us for as long as they could stand, then I allowed them to walk by themselves for a little while. I might as well have said, "Release the hounds!" They walked around with perma-grin, happy to be out from momma's skirt tails.

This is one of the beginning glimpses I've had to the world of teenagers, as it relates to my child. I'm a little frightened. But at the same I am so very excited for him.

I remember standing at the threshold of being a young adult, one foot standing firmly in childhood, the other foot standing in the world of teenagers. I was suddenly terribly aware of fashion, hair, body shapes and boys. It was when I became focused on "me," and not so much on anything else. But it was also a time when I was able to begin to clarify my own values and ideas and figure out who "I" was and who I would become.

As a parent, I fully expect to have times that make me want to push him in front of a bus. But I know that even those times are simply a means to an end: a wonderful, God-fearing, productive member of society.

As a teenager, I know my son will have times when he wants to be driving the bus that would run over me. But hopefully, we can one day look back and realize it was all worth it.

I am not planning on taking him to The Tilted Kilt, Hooters or any other such establishment. As he gets older, he may go with friends, which I suppose is rather normal. But I just can't consider it responsible or normal to go with your mother.

Welcome to the big, wonderful, wild, wooly world of Teenager. On the plus side, I'm thrilled he will shower without being asked!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Carol Bruce Collett said...

Put "I Will Survive" on continuous loop and stock up on your favorite vice of choice. This too shall pass. :) Chris and David made it through their teens without causing us any grief, but it was still nerve wracking.