Friday, August 13, 2010

It's the Walmart Way

Wal-Mart location in MonctonImage via Wikipedia
Today I went for my big weekly Walmart run. My list of over fifty items made my basket runneth over.


But there were several things I couldn't find on my list, which really irritates me. I mean, I would expect to have a limited variety of items at, say, the Exxon station. But at Walmart, I really believe I should be able to get a big box of Goldfish crackers. And yet, there were none.

I know their stockers must have to work around the clock to keep the place full. No matter when I go in there, the place is packed with every kind of person from every walk of life.


As I wandered up and down the aisles unencumbered by children, I took the time to read labels and see what other items I might be missing when I do my usual snag-and-run. I found some of the most interesting and most disgusting stuff.

I knew the organic market had taken an upswing. But they make organic products for just about everything. I have to wonder if people realize that just because something is organic does not mean it is good for you. Ice cream that has no pesticides still has fat and sugar.


As I said, I could not find the big box of Goldfish crackers. But I did find canned shrimp. Really? Ew. I thought Spam was bad (and it is). But canned shrimp? I don't even eat seafood. But I can tell you that if I did, it would not come from a can.

And what on earth would you ever do with oyster juice? Do I even want to know? I can only envision a really awful episode of Fear Factor.


I also breezed by the clothing on my way over to the pet food and deodorant. I believe I should be able to sue the buyer of the clothes for Walmart. Why in the world they would purchase some of the clothes they carry in some of the sizes they have is beyond me.

I have said it before, and I stand by it: I am not a size that needs to wear a bikini. I admit it. I'm OK with that. I am fine in the skin that I'm in. I'm alright with my own body. But I do NOT need to wear a bikini in my size 10-12 (8 if it's really stretchy and I've had a stomach virus for a week). So why they would even make a bikini in a W26 is unfathomable. Ditto on the micro-mini skirts, spandex and anything from the Hannah Montana collection.


I know Walmart provides a great service to many people, myself included. But should a store like Walmart simply sell "whatever" and pander to the masses? Or do they have some kind of obligation to help people be their best by offering healthy, reasonable choices?
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Kaye Dacus said...

I've purchased a few articles of clothing at Walmart---cheap shorts that I don't mind getting ruined wearing out to the lake, plain T-shirts to wear to the gym (I buy those in the the men's dept., they're cheaper), and I stumbled on a really cute dress for $9 that has been perfect for wearing to book signing events and church this summer. But---notice that was "stumbled upon." Because I am in the W category when it comes to size, if I do go to Walmart (I try to avoid it in favor of Target), I don't usually do much more than walk past the clothing section without stopping---because most of what they have is made with a 70+-year-old woman in mind. They need to start marketing to the middle instead of teens/old ladies!