Wednesday, January 30, 2008

E-Mails Gone Bad


I think I must have a sign on my e-mail address that says, "kick me".
Honestly, do you get a TON of e-mails from well-meaning friends and associates that end by saying, "Pass this on to everyone in the free world or suffer dire consequences and have bad luck for the rest of your natural born life"? Because I seem to get all of them.
And, while I love many of the people who forward this stuff, I really want to reply back with, "what did I ever do to you???"
So, what I usually do is:
1. See if it's worth sending. If not-- well, let's just say I don't have a snowball's chance in hell if all the curses/hexes/superstitions actually come to fruition...
2. If it is worth sending, I try to be selective and only send it to the recipients to whom it would actually matter. And then, I erase the send-it-on-or-else part.
3. If it's one of those that say, "You will make money off of this"-- you DON'T! I'll admit it-- I've actually been a sender of these a few times just to see-- they never worked.
4. If it's one of those that say some poor, sick, dying child is sending this as their last wish- I wish the child the best, keep them in my prayers, and hit delete. No reason to pass on a bunch of pity...
5. It it's one of those that say, "This will do something neat-- just watch"-- those DON'T either. Again, I have tried, and found that not a single one produced anything but another friend leary of opening my e-mail.
So, while e-mail has certainly brought us into an age of instantly being able to talk to friends and family, near and far-- it has also created a whole new genre for the chain letter. The chain letter was not liked in the snail mail form-- and I find it even more frustrating when I'm trying to be efficient with my limited time on the computer.
So if you want to forward me one of those e-mails, please don't. Please just send me an e-mail that says "hi" and a few pictures of the kids!...

No comments: