Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste...



I am almost certain that I am missing a gene that I was supposed to have gotten.

My father & brother are absolute whizzes at remembering names, dates, events, trivia, etc. I, on the other hand, walk into a room and can't remember what I was going to get or do.

I don't even like introducing my husband to people, because I get tripped up on his name. (Is that bad?)

I do "roll call" whenever I'm disciplining one of my children. Everyone, including my dear husband, gets their name called, until I finally point to the child who is getting reprimanded and shriek, "YOU! Whoever 'you' are- STOP!"

I forget fairly pertinent information from very personal conversations with friends. God forbid I run into someone from my HighSchool who says, "How are you? Remember when we..."-- because I won't.

I wasn't always like this. Before I had children, I had a mind like a steel trap. I could recall what a friend liked in their coffee, where my husband and I first kissed or if I had told someone a story, thus saving them from hearing a story repeated and repeated and repeated...

I think the children effected me because 1) I don't get any sleep and 2) I have to repeat myself to them all the time.

As a parent, I'm sure you relate. How many times do you have to say "stop" before you go crazy? How many times do you have to sing the same song or read the same story to a toddler before you think, "I wish this book would just spontaneously combust!" I think it makes you kind of zone out, and not pay attention to what's going on around you.

Granted, I am always counting to three, to make sure I can find three children. I have an automatic homing device that can hear a "real" cry, sense the danger of burning candles or a tall stair case, or be able to wake up from a deep sleep for a child's fever.

I have also found I can remember how many time I had to scream "STOP" (as in, I've told you a thousand times to stop it!), what punishments my children have incurred (as in, You aren't supposed to be eating or breathing! You're on restriction!), and what time they are supposed to go to school (as in, Let's go so you won't be late. Mommy only gets so much time to work before I have to pick you back up!)

This lack of memory thing is no fun. It affects my housework: laundry can sit in the washer for a loooooonggggg time before it "smells" past the laundry room. It affects my personal relationships: Oops, I forgot we had plans, sorry... It affects my diet: I don't think I ate, and I'm hungry, so, yes, I'll have a large piece of cake, thanks.

So if you are reading my blog on any kind of a regular basis and I write this again, sorry... I'm hoping to sleep longer than 3 hours one night and get a little bit of my memory skills back.

P.S. I'd really like to see a mandatory action of having everyone have their name tattooed on their forehead. That would be extremely helpful!

No comments: