Friday, June 27, 2008

Girls Gone Wild


It is so wonderful to have a friend with whom you can let your hair down. Someone who can make you laugh until your cheeks burn, your stomach aches and tears are streaming down your face.
Last night the chocolate martinis flowed like heavenly rivers in a barren land. It was the perfect amount to feel happy, but not "trashed".
So, it was time to get WILD.

The first round of Scrabble was a close one, but I ended up losing anyway, as usual. The second round of Scrabble was difficult. Suddenly I couldn't spell anything more complicated than a three letter word. And to do anything more required extensive research in the Scrabble Dictionary.

Finally, we ditched the game with only six words on the board and headed upstairs to do some investigative computer work. That's when the party really began!
I don't know what made us think we could type when we couldn't spell, but we googled away. We looked up old boyfriends, current gossip-worthy people, and a couple of other random things that seemed like fun.

The kids darted in and out of the room to tell on each other. They realized rather quickly that we would be no help at all, and resorted to finding their dads.

When the kids would come in, we would jump and try to cover whatever was on the computer screen, since we were trying to be "sneaky." The morning light provided me with the perspective that, not only did we not have anything that would harm the kids, but we really weren't doing anything that required us to be "sneaky". The chocolate martinis must have just made us feel a little conspiratory and secretive.

When we finally became bored with our computer "mischief", we decided we should go "out" and "PARTY!" We were going to be two hot mama's out on the town!
We were responsible enough to know we shouldn't drive, and we congratulated ourselves for the adult-like discernment.
We decided walking would require too much effort.
So we played with the idea of calling a cab.

Then there was the problem of where to go?
Naturally, we thought of the most wild place you can go on a Thursday night, after drinking: Barnes & Noble.

The realization hit us that we are complete and total nerds. We were hysterical with the image of two moms, having drunk chocolate martinis, dressed in our housekeeping finest, hailing a cab and giggling all the way to the book store on a Thursday night.
We laughed even harder when we decided that Barnes & Noble may call our husbands to come get us for being disorderly.

The Thursday nights of my younger years were much more adventurous. Our "sneakiness" was more more "sneaky." Our outfits were a little smaller to show off young curves. We would have determined a Designated Driver at the outset of our party, or we would have walked. And our "Thelma & Louise" act would NOT have been anywhere near a bookstore!

But I had more fun last night than I did in a year full of Thursday nights when I was young. I am happily married and wonderful children. I know my place in the world. I am confident in my abilities. And I have a really good, true friend.

Not that the friends of my youth were not true friends. But we were all at an age when we were trying so hard, it left little room for lasting connections.

I may hear the whisper of "old age" from the world. But I feel so very young at heart. And I am happy to have people I love with whom I get to share it all.

So, if you are ever at Barnes & Noble on a Thursday night and you see two women giggling and slurring, looking at books, please don't report us to the management. But you can join us for another chocolate martini over at September's Cafe. Just make sure you can keep up with "Girls Gone Wild!"

1 comment:

ThePrincessMommy said...

I am laughing so hard right now! We such CRAZY BFFs!!! Barnes and Noble is lucky they close early - or that we couldn't get a cab!!! LYLAS!