Monday, August 18, 2008

Time in a Bottle

I sometimes wish for more time for my day. But as the old saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for..."

I had finally gotten to the point that I got my schedule to have a little free time. So do you know what I did? I let myself get talked into doing something that would not only take up that free time, but infringe upon some other obligations already in place.

Why I am I such a glutton for punishment? Couldn't I just be satisfied with some unscheduled time to do things like, oh, clean the house, cook dinner, you know, stuff like that? But, noooo... I have some internal need to commit suicide by volunteerism: to work myself to death.

I'll grant you, they are all very worthy causes. But really, what isn't a worthy cause? Everything tugs at us, making us feel it is the most important thing in life. And no matter how I sort my priorities and tell myself, "NO," my stupid mouth pipes up and says, "Why, sure! It would be my pleasure."

When I was younger I had a superiority complex that caused me to volunteer for things simply because I didn't think anyone else would do it right. I've finally gotten to an age/maturity that I just don't care how it's done, or who does it, just so long as I don't have to do it.

And I get extremely aggravated at the bystanders who pass along comments and/or judgement about how something is done, if they aren't prepared to put their money where their mouth is:

  • You don't like how registration went at school? I think you have some very valid points. Will you please help us next year? No? Then shut up.
  • You think the church should have been painted a different color? Oh, were you on the committee that has been working on this project for months? No? Did you attend a single meeting? No? Did you help paint? No? Then shut up.
  • You don't like the mayor? I hear your concern. Did you vote? No? Then shut up.
I'll grant you, there are times and ways to make suggestions without the intention of executing the suggestion. There are many times that it isn't feasible for a person to help out with the execution. And, as long as the suggestion is put in a professional, helpful way, I have the utmost respect for that individual.

But whiny, angry, bullying, hyper-critical criticism makes my blood boil.

I guess it all goes back to another old saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I'll admit I am solely responsible for getting myself into the activities in which I participate. And, I'll admit that I always have the option of saying no. And sometimes, believe it or not, I do actually exercise that option.

But I have such a strong belief in being part of the solution- not part of the problem, that I do end up with my fingers in far too many pies. I want to make a difference.

Maybe one day I'll be able to put my (literal) money where my mouth is and help fund change instead of being the labor. That would definitely free up my time, while allowing me to help make positive changes.

But for now, my money goes to family obligations- and that's about as far as it can go. So I'll just take a deep breath, re-arrange my schedule for that extra commitment, and charge ahead.

It's okay, though. Because I remember one more old saying: "I'll get plenty of sleep when I'm dead..."

1 comment:

ThePrincessMommy said...

When you find out how to get some time - CALL Me. When you find out how to get people to shut up and fix it - CALL Me!!! I get frustrated like this too!