Thursday, August 21, 2008

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom!


Emma is feeling puny tonight, so I made her sit out of cheer. Hubby said he's sit at home with Keith and Emma while I went to cheer with Amy.
Hubby even suggested we take the BMW. Oooohhhh.....

Amy and I climbed into the zippy little convertible and I revved the engine. It's a stick shift, and it has probably been at least ten years since I've driven a car with a stick shift on any kind of regular basis. So, naturally, I was a little concerned about stalling out on hills, etc.

But, I actually got around quite well, making good turns, shifting the gears easily. I was having fun.

As I coasted to what I thought was a very smooth stop at the end of our exit ramp, Amy piped up, "Do you know how to drive this thing, mom?"

I thought, "Duh, what do you think I've been doing?" But since I'm not a second grader, I said, "Yes, honey. That's what I'm doing now."

"Did daddy say you could drive his car?"

Again with the "Duh," but controlled enough to say, "Sure, sweetie, why wouldn't he?"

"I don't know. You just don't seem to know what to do with this stick thingy," she said, pointing to the gear shift.

I sighed. We were almost there.

"I told Emma that daddy could paint her finger nails while we were gone," Amy offered.

"Oh, that sounds nice."

"Yeah, daddy paints finger nails better than you," she said.

Huh. I don't know that daddy would be particularly proud of that fact- whether it was real or imagined.

"Why's that?" I fished.

"He painted flags on each of my fingers when he painted my nails," she announced with glee.

Again, not so much a proud moment for daddy. I was smirking, but Amy couldn't see my face since it was dark outside.

"What's he going to paint on Emma's fingers?" I baited her for more information.

"I don't know. Maybe flowers, or smiley faces, or- ooohh- maybe princess crowns! Yeah, that would be pretty!"

"Oh, yes," I concurred.

"Are you sure you can drive this, mommy?" she returned back to her earlier line of questioning.

"Yes, darling," I answered tersely.

"I don't think you can," she decided.

"Okay, fine. The next time I get to drive this, you won't be with me. I'll take someone who doesn't complain about my driving." I announced.

Amy back-pedaled quickly, "No, mommy! You drive great! I just meant that this is daddy's car. That's all. You are a great driver! Please can I come with you?"

I really couldn't help myself. "Does daddy really paint nails better than me?"

"No," she said, adding, "I just said that to make him feel good."

"Okay, then you may ride with me," I smiled.

"Goodie!" she chirped. "Thank you, mommy! Thank you, thank you! You are the best mommy ever!"

Yeah, I know. You really can't believe anything she says. But after the car ride, I was happy to hear compliments (contrived or otherwise).

But next time I take the BMW, I'm going by myself...

No comments: