Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Just Killin' Time...

We spent 45 minutes in Dollar General this morning. My total bill was $9.01. I had my daughters, my niece and a friend with me and they were all allowed to spend $1.

Finding that elusive item that was "it" proved to be quite the task. We fluttered all over the store, and then went around again. We picked up every possible candidate and looked it over carefully.

It came down to Flarp (a goopy colored substance in a plastic container that makes gaseous noises when you push it) or lip gloss for one of the girls. The two older ones decided on battery controlled cars, which surprised the heck out of me. But they seem delighted with their simulated monster trucks. The last girl was having a hard time deciding between Disney Princess press on fingernails or a box of hair do-dads.

Ultimately, I was thrilled to see that lip gloss won out over Flarp. The Disney Princess nails were adorable- for the two and a half minutes she wore them, before deciding they hurt.

Who knew a single dollar could cause such angst? As children tend to be, the girls were only thinking of the here-and-now. They could not fathom the fact that there could ever be a "next time," so their decision was of the utmost importance. The total happiness of their entire existence hinged on this choice.

As an adult, I can see that if I don't get something now, well, there's next time. If I get something home and it doesn't work, I can take it back. And buying something just for the sake of using the $1 just leads to more junk in my house.

We are now home, and everyone is playing with their treasured new possessions (except for the one who got the nails and threw them away). Everyone seems content and satisfied... for now... we still have the rest of the day to go...

No comments: