Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Potty Mouth

Can someone please tell me why children (and some adults) are so completely fascinated by bodily functions: bathroom talk and nasal issues, mostly. It's well known that since the beginning of time every single six year old on the planet thinks the word "fart" is the most hysterical thing ever.

Personally, I am not impressed, but not completely grossed out, either. After all, I've had three babies. Any new mom will tell you that we have lengthy conversations regarding the bathroom habits of our babies, some very descriptive and down right disgusting.

And older folks tend to use a laser focus on their bathroom habits, along with any other aches, pains and illnesses that they might have. I can't tell you how many people over eighty-five (when I was marketing an Assisted Living Community) were concerned about whether I had a daily bowel movement or not. Then they wanted to follow up with their personal habits. I tried to look interested, and then quickly change the subject. There are just some things I don't need to know about people.

But children- they are almost drunk with hilarity over words like "butt," "pee," "poop," "fart," "snot," and other such slang for their bodily functions. I've watched my children get to the point where they could hardly breathe because they were laughing so hard.

I must admit, their laughter and unadulterated glee make me giggle. I think sometimes they mistake that for the idea that I might find their "potty talk" funny. But it truly is their utter joy and hysterical laughter that I enjoy.

I do know that eventually they will outgrow this phase. Part of me will be so glad to be able to have a conversation with them that doesn't dissolve into pandemonium because I said "do do" mistakenly in a sentence.

But another part of me dreads for that day to come. It will mean that they've also grown out of the child-like innocence that allows them to enjoy the simple jokes. At that point, they'll laugh at innuendos of sex, snarky sarcasm and just about any movie in which Will Ferrel stars.

For now, I'll discourage the potty talk AND the growing up. But I know it will only be a matter of time before I can say "poop," and it will just slide on by...

No comments: