Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mommy Power!


Quick addendum to last post:

Why am I the only one in the entire house that knows how to operate an alarm??? Yes, I suppose I could put down my foot & say "forget it! you are on your own!"

But, truly, it would be more trouble than it's worth. You see, if they woke themselves up-- well, it just wouldn't happen...

My parents instilled in me a healthy fear of discipline- from them or other authority figures. Some days I think I've done a pretty good job on that with my kids. Then on mornings when I roll out of bed to get EVERYONE up (yes, even hubby) I think I haven't done a thing.

Don't get me wrong- my kids go ape if they think they might be tardy. But they haven't connected the dots yet to see how what time they get up directly impacts their ability to be on time. You can lead a horse to water... Right?

And you know what? As long as I'm griping- how come I'm the only one who can manage to put the dishes the 12 1/2 inches from the sink to the dishwasher? Do I have some special wave length that makes the vacuum cleaner work that no one else has? Do the children really believe that the food on the counter will magically grow legs and help themselves back up into the pantry? Why am I the only one who can plan and make dinner? (Left to their own devices, they would either have pizza, fast food or cereal for every meal- I'm not kidding. I did an "experiment" once and that's exactly what happened.)

I can tell when I'm not around for a while. I must give him "props", hubby does a magnificent job of keeping the house tidy. But not necessarily clean. And certainly not "organized."

"Honey, where did you put the hair brush?"

"The black one sitting on the counter?"

"Yes."

"Uhmmm. I don't know... I remember seeing it when I was 'cleaning' (aka: stashing stuff into corners to make the room look neat). But I don't remember where I put it... Did you try Keith's clothes hamper?"

Fortunately, no one seems to mind the permanent state of pandemonium that comes with living in our house. The "yuck" seems to come in waves- we do a massive clean up for a particular event (a birthday party, a cook out) and then it slowly piles back up until the next time we believe that other people than our family may grace our door step.

So- if I don't go get every one up NOW, we may be dressing in the car on the way to school...

Have a great day!

1 comment:

PUNKY BREWHAHA said...

Ha Ha...my point exactly-by the way I am not some weird random stranger posting...this is mawmedearest..changed my name, link, and layout, but same stories are up;)

*btw my sink is completely full right now and it's planning to stay that way until my hubby comes home.