Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mr. Clean's Chart


I think I made a deal with the devil this afternoon. I negotiated allowance terms with my kids. They combed through each detail like professional lawyers on a case for a pre-nup loophole search. I don't know the last time I heard so many If/Then statements...

But, it's done. And now I have some amunition to keep someone else on top of housework besides me. We'll see how long it lasts. But to squeeze a little more juice out of the project, I put up a chart on the refrigerator with the promise of stars.

They are as programmed as they come to be goal-oriented, competitive little people. The idea of a sibling earning more stars than himself/herself makes each child squirm.

AND I also get the added bonus of being able to say, "You know, I think you should pay for that with YOUR money..." Killer bonus, huh?

Tonight, the chart was clear and void of any stars. Tomorrow, I'll begin to poke the bear a little and see if I can get a rise out at least one of them. After the first star, the race is on.

I get a clean house, a money escape clause, and the kids get a sense of pride in their work and begin learning the value of a dollar. Sounds like a great thing, doesn't it? What could possibly go wrong?

Well--- I'll let you know...

No comments: