Friday, July 18, 2008

Procrastination and I Go on Vacation


Tomorrow we leave for vacation. I am soooooo excited I can barely stand it! We are going to be at the beach with our family for 7 whole days.

This is the trip we all look forward to beginning on the day we get home from the most recent trip. We have the trip marked on our calendar as "black out" dates for anything else that could possibly come up.

That being said, I have way too much to do, and not nearly enough time to do it. But, my old friend Procrastination has come and planted himself firmly on my couch. Therefore, I am currently doing Procrastination's favorite activity: playing around, aimlessly on the computer.

So far, I have updated my Facebook (very important), checked my e-mails, subscribed to some "free" offers, which I will no doubt regret later, and checked up on world news and celebrity gossip (sometimes one and the same).

I still need to, oh, um, PACK. To do that, I actually need to do laundry (or else pack dirty clothes- ewwww). And I need to clean the house so that I don't end up with nasty vermin moving in while we're out of town. And I need to mow the grass for hubby so he doesn't have to do it when he gets home.

But, Procrastination would like to take a field trip. He would like for us to go "out" somewhere- anywhere- just to avoid the house.

Once I get focused, Procrastination becomes quickly forgotten, even when he stamps his feet and tries to ferociously to get my attention by turning on the television or bringing to mind things like new nail polish (for my toes on the beach) or going to see a movie (because I'm sure they have no movie theaters in Florida) or going swimming (since we won't swim on vacation- ha).

Once I get started, I will work feverishly until the bags are packed, the beds are made and the house actually passes for clean. And I will barely stop for food or restroom breaks. And I get a little cranky when I'm interrupted by things like hungry children or breaking up sibling arguments.

But tomorrow, regardless of what I'm able, or not able, to accomplish today, we will be at the beach. And there, Procrastination will get to run amok, frolicking in the ocean, reading by the pool, playing miniature golf with the kids and taking spontaneous naps in the afternoon. We'll have a very loose schedule, that can be changed at our whim. And we'll smile easier and sleep better.

So, for now, I'm going to ask Procrastination to go away and pack his bags. He'll have his day in the sun tomorrow.

1 comment:

ThePrincessMommy said...

Why?? Why?? Why did you send Procrastination over to my house. I do NOT want to play with him!! This made me laugh!