Thursday, July 31, 2008

Unmentionable


The two girls came home from cheer tonight exuberant. Amy had gotten the "Cheer Bear."
The "Cheer Bear" is a stuffed animal that is given to the girl on the squad who shows the most spirit that night. She takes home the bear, plays with it & adds "something" to it. It could be a necklace, a pair of sunglasses, etc. Amy gets to keep the bear until Monday at cheer, when it will be passed along.

Emma had gotten the "Cheer Bear" for her squad a while ago, added her "bling" and passed it on. She had been awarded for her ability to memorize a move before anyone else. She absolutely glowed with excitement.

We were sitting at the dinner table talking about the "Cheer Bear" for both girls when Amy announced, she was supposed to have a "Sports Bra." Huh??? She's six years old. She's on the "Mini's Team," for heaven's sake. What on earth do we need sports bras for?

Keith absolutely blanched at the word, much to Amy's amusement. Throughout the remainder of dinner, she would randomly mouth, "Sports Bra," to Keith, just to watch his reaction.

When I realized what she was doing, of course I made her stop. Keith was still aggravated, but relieved. I, on the other hand, was still deeply concerned about why a six-year-old needs a sports bra.

I began investigating at the gym. I was told that it was for modesty- so that if their shirts came up, they would still be covered. I questioned what a six-year-old would need to cover. They said it was just the practice of the gym.

I can see their side. We have men (and women) coaches working with the girls. It is nice that the gym would take precautionary measures to safe-guard the girls and the coaches.

However, I am all of the sudden thrown into a conversation I was so not prepared for yet. Now we're talking about the different bra styles, and why the girls don't need an under wire.

I don't even know where to purchase a sport's bra for a six-year-old- and quite frankly, I don't want to know. I'm certain I could probably get them at Limited 2, since the last time I checked they also sold thong underwear in her size (which I did NOT get!!!- and we haven't been back!!!). Or maybe one of the sporting good stores?

Why can't they just wear a snug camisole unless they "need" a bra? What's next? Will I have to shave their legs for competition?

Why is everyone in such a hurry to grow up??? My kids are over-the-moon over getting to hold on to a stuffed animal (the "Cheer Bear") for a weekend. How did we make the jump to bras?

I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend: Emma, Amy, the "Cheer Bear" and I will be bra shopping. (That just sounds so wrong.) Maybe I'll find another solution that will provide modesty, but is a little longer than a bra- like a half camisole or something... Ugh...

How do you get a sports bra that matches the uniform, socks, shoes and hair bow? I guess I'll find out this weekend...

No comments: