Sunday, May 4, 2008

Second Time Around


This year I'm turning the big 4-0. So far, gravity has made things drop and sag, I'm tired more often, and I gain weight by merely inhaling the scent of chocolate.



But, by far, the hardest thing that has happened to me is the fact that I'm going through a second puberty: my hormones are out of whack and I have acne.



Understand, I NEVER had acne when I went through puberty the first time. And I could eat chocolate to make my way out of any kind of hormonal funk- but not gain weight.



Now- no such luck...


The wicked hormone parade winds its way through in unexpected, very unwanted ways: rage at silly, childish infractions, tears at a beautiful flower sprouting by the mailbox, jubilation at beating a child at a board game. Real mature, huh? And, even if I didn't gain weight from vapors, chocolate would not even begin to touch these monster hormones!


And the acne? I actually wash my face; I never go to sleep with make up on. I try to eat (a little bit) healthy. And I use fairly expensive potions and creams to make my skin look younger & wrinkle-free. (I guess I should re-read the label and see how young they're talking, huh?)


I have a small confession to make- I am outright alarmed about this summer! You see, the acne has made its way to my back, too. (Otherwise known as, "backne".) Who wants to wear a bathing suit that exposes a boil? And they HURT! When hubby actually wants to show kindness by giving me a unsolicited back massage, he can hone in on those suckers like nobody's business!


The only silver lining to this is that my children aren't old enough to be going through it, too. I can only imagine if we had several of us going through puberty at the same time!


The really bad news, is that I don't get to sleep and eat like I did the first time around. And my body is not anywhere near that of an 18 year old!


Oh well. I guess I should be glad it's not menopause...

No comments: