Monday, April 14, 2008

The Energy of a Child


How many times have I thought, "I wish I could have that much energy. I would bottle it and sell it for millions!" when I looked at my young three children whirling around in action?


I've always been a little jealous of their ability to bounce off the walls until the wee hours of the morning, and then wake up again when their little internal clocks wake them. Of course, they are grumpy as all get out, but they are still young enough to listen to their body without question.


They quit eating when they are full. Mine aren't even tempted by french fries are chocolate, a fact I almost find unnatural.


They say what's on their minds- no fear of rejection or social stigma or even political correctness (If you don't believe me, ask the woman in aisle 5 in Krogers who heard "Mommy, is that lady going to have a baby, or is she just fat?").


They run and exercise for fun. They have no limit on their imaginations. (For a long time, I was concerned that TV was thwarting their creativity. Now, I believe, in the correct doses, TV actually inspires their creativity, giving them a base to start their own adventures.)


And when they are tired, they sleep.Now, mind you, it is not just a small cat nap, dozing in and out, waiting for the alarm to ring kind of sleep (like we, adults, often have from about 4:00 AM until we're supposed to get up). It is a full-fledged, snoring, flopped over like a rag doll sleep. And they sleep wherever they are. I've actually had my small ones fall asleep in the middle of a party (where cake was involved! that's just criminal!). And they actually get rested...So they can whirl around the next day!


Now, as an addendum to this little rampage about the advantages of being small (to which, I would have to add that they have no concept of poor or rich, no responsibilities of bills or meetings, and no worries as to the roof over their head, the food on their plate or the clothes on their back), I must say I think they really miss out in one department: naps.I have never met a child who enjoyed naps! They are almost veiwed as punishment to the extreme!


Mine have hidden toys and books under the covers, while flashing me the most angelic smile. Then later, I would hear Barbie having a tea party, or the Army marching across the bedroom. And when caught, the children are embarassed, and then defensive.


Whereas, I must say, naps are such a luxury. To be able to take a moment from my day and close my eyes, closing out the world, and just listen to the sound of my own breath, is so relaxing.


I like the idea of having a mandatory late afternoon nap nation-wide. Can you imagine how much more relaxed as a culture we would be? And I'm sure that we could find a way to make money off of it: special clothing, special bedding, special relaxing teas, etc. (which is the American way...)


I don't quite see it being a hot topic for the next ballet, but it's still a nice thought.


Until then, I'll continue to try to come up with ways to bottle the energy of my kids...

1 comment:

ThePrincessMommy said...

1) If you ever bottle that energy, consider me first in line!

2) All that reading about a nap made me desperate to figure out a way to get one in, but drats, no such luck!!!