Monday, April 28, 2008

I am NOT Nurse Mommy Barbie Today


Two out of three kids are sick this morning. My maternal instincts are NOT kicking in.


Right now I'm thinking, "I have tons of work to actually do at the office today. I've been out since Thursday with Kid I being sick. We went to the doctor. He has meds. He should be better. They should be at school. I should be at work. The doctor is going to be another $40, and they should have already fixed this. Who knows how much the drugs are going to cost? I HAVE TOO MUCH TO DO TODAY FOR YOU ALL TO BE SICK! Can't you fake it at school until 3:00? No? You don't love me, do you? Ugh!"


The Doctor's appointment is at 10:30. OK, beggars can't be choosers. But, why couldn't it be at 8:00 AM, so I could get them checked, drugged and back to school and salvage part of my day? Or why couldn't it be at 2:30 PM so I could at least scrap the day & go back to bed? Ugh.


The thought that keeps running through my head that makes this whole thing even better is that: a. Both kids have different illnesses, which means they can still share. b. Kid III seems perfectly healthy, and will probably remain that way until exactly 5 minutes after Kid I and Kid II are deemed healthy enough to return to school. Thus, keeping me home at least one extra day with Kid III. AND incurring more doctor fees & med. fees. Ugh.


Where is that maternal instinct that should be kicking in that would make me swoop around in high heels and a starched dress like June Cleaver, administering TLC, Tylenol and warm milk for my ailing babes? Couldn't I at least have the urge to cuddle up on the couch with the kids and watch kids' shows?


Instead, I'm tired, cranky and overwhelmed. Not exactly the picture of motherhood, huh?


Dear hubby escaped this morning after breakfast, blowing a kiss and giving that look of pity that said, "Hey, better you than me." Thanks.


Karma is a funny thing. When I do have the maternal instincts and dote over ill children, they recuperate better and everyone is happy. Since I'm being such a curmudgeon about the whole thing, Karma will ensure that both children are terribly ill and the doctor will be amazed that they were able to live long enough to come into the office. Recovery will be long and painful, and there will be ample whining involved. Ugh...


(Deep Breath)


OK, time to put on my big girl panties, get over myself, get off the computer and go love me some kids. Remember, they are only this age once. And this may be the time that proves priceless, as we discuss important world matters, or at least talk about why Johnny wouldn't sit next to them at the lunch table.


Then we'll go to the doctor, get 'em better & back to school tomorrow.


Tomorrow I'll get to deal with whatever I missed today at work.


Ugh...

1 comment:

ThePrincessMommy said...

Bless you - you are an AWESOME mom - it's just hard to be "on" all the time. SO, I think it's okay if you wear your tiny temper-tantrum-I-don't-want-to-play panties someties!!! :-)