Monday, April 21, 2008

Jimmy Buffet Groupie...


When we lived in Cleveland, Ohio, my theme song was "Boat Drinks" by Jimmy Buffet. The lyrics included such gems as, "This morning, I shot six holes in my freezer. I think I've got cabin fever..." And, "I've got to go where it's WARM!"

Today, our weather here in Tennessee was incredibly mild. The sun was out. The temperature was in the 70's. And there was a breeze that carried new spring flower petals across my window frame.

By all accounts, it was a picture-perfect day.

Except, that I should be in Mexico.

For the last three years, hubby and I have gone with work to Mexico- via plane or cruise ship. Either way, it was GORGEOUS (see actual photo taken at last trip above).

I loved the beach, the breeze, the sun, the margaritas, the lack of pressure... It was a true vacation in almost every sense of the word. (I say "almost" because the kids did not get to come with us; this made the vacation both better and worse for the exact same reason.)

Last year, I was agonizing over bathing suits and how many times to go to the tanning bed so as not to fry my "delicate" (read: pale, white) skin. This year I'm looking back at pictures of said bathing suit (with a little tan...) and wishing I had somewhere to wear it.

I'll grant you: Their Diet Coke tastes like Diet Pepsi (ick). Their unfiltered water has actual animals living in it. Many locals speak little or no English. There is little to no phone service (without a huge price) back to the states. And converting the US Dollar to Pesos requires math (hello? vacation????).

Despite those (and some other) obvious flaws, Mexico is full of tropical, rustic charm. I would never drink the water, or eat something that hasn't been boiled, cooked or fried (Montozuma's Revenge is not a good companion for vacation!). But I LOVE haggling with the locals for tourist souveniers. And the resorts in which we stay boast some pretty yummy margaritas, mojitos and daquiris. One resort actually had peacocks walking around and looking gorgeous. Quite exotic!

But, today, I sit in my living room- not on a plane with sunglasses, a passport and a jack and diet coke.
I love my family. I love my children. But, a girl can still dream, can't she?...

...And in my dream, I'm in Mexico, listening to Jimmy Buffet and the ocean waves, drinking a raspberry frozen margarita (with umbrella/sans salt) and basking in the tropical sun...

1 comment:

ThePrincessMommy said...

Next time, we improvise. You ditch work and I'll sneak out the back. Sneak over here and we'll sneak up to the pool. I have tequila if you have Margarita mix!!!! The boys can be mommmies for the day!