Sunday, April 27, 2008

Warning: Technology


I got a new cell phone/pda today! I am so excited. Too bad I don't even know how to turn it on.


During dinner it began making noises at me. Finally, I realized it was "ringing". Before I figured out how to pick up the call, it had gone to voice mail. Sadly, I will probably never know who called, or be able to retreive my voice mail if they left one.


My son, on the other hand, had the device in his hands for exactly three minutes before he said, "Cool, mom! You have solitaire!" Really? Huh.


Hubby is diligently trying to get my e-mail to work. E-mail? My other phone could text, but e-mail would be extra cool. Does it charge minutes? No idea.


Supposedly, when I get it going, I can put my calendar on the thing and be (sort of) organized! I'm actally quite excited about what the possibilities are.


What I should probably do, is leave it my son's hands for 24 hours and then have him teach me how to use it.


Simply by purchasing this new device, I feel I've aged at least 10 years, just because I realize how much technology has advanced- without me. I can remember looking at my parents with that same look that my children give me. It's the look that says, "You don't know that??? How do you even start the car in the morning without knowing that particular technological piece of information?"


Of course, I still tend to think of my parents as being in the stone age- even though they can work a computer quite efficiently and they know their way around a cell phone enough to text.


So, I suppose years from now, I will continue to have my children's sad looks when it comes to me and technology. Hopefully, by then I'll at least know how to work my new phone...

1 comment:

ThePrincessMommy said...

You know - you are absolutely right. My youngest son was a bit exasperated I couldn't explain to him how the Nintendo DS worked. I may be playing it while he is at school just so I don't lose too much respect.