Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Crafty Mama







My husband has a thing for cars. He and I can be in mid-conversation while going down the road, and he'll take in a sharp breath and begin to salivate when he sees a BMW or upper scale Lexus.

He knows their model numbers, how fast they drive and how much they cost. He assures me this should not concern me. However, I'm smart enough to realize that an innocent enough hobby can quickly turn into a costly obsession.

Take my craft "hobby" (aka: obsession). When I go into Joanne's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or even the craft and fabric section of Wal-Mart, my pulse quickens, I get a little light-headed, and I begin crafting all sorts of projects in my head.

I have tried numerous times to turn this love affair into a full-time job. I can make it through exactly one season of local craft shows before I realize I am better suited to coordinate a craft show than be a vendor.

My problem is, I love crafting for the sake of crafting. I love being creative. I love the learning process of perfecting a craft or learning a new one.

The monotony of having to make the same thing over and over again is depressing. But I can always convince myself that "THIS craft is different!" So, I have accumulated more craft supplies than any one person should ever have. I could effectively open a craft store and/or make enough crafts to fill an entire craft fair.

I've gotten better about considering my crafting a "hobby" instead of a "career" as I've gotten older. Well- at least I've gotten smarter at recognizing when my OCD starts kicking in.

I don't know that I will ever stop wanting my crafting to be my "job" because I love sharing my creations. So, I'll continue my crafting quest. For example, check out http://www.spalapointe.blogger.com/ for my soy lotion candles. I LOVE these things!

And, my husband will continue his love affair with cars. I just hope he remembers how much more expensive his hobby is than mine- or else my hobby budget will be severely compromised!

No comments: